Sunday, December 14, 2008

Navidad en el Zocalo
















We felt like having a lazy Sunday since we've been kind of non-stop lately. The weather was perfect for a short trip to the Zocalo. We left the house and headed towards the Zocalo. Upon arriving at the famous city center, we were surprised to see a winter wonderland. We knew there was an ice rink setup, but there was also a man-made sledding hill and a snowman making area. There were small snowmen maybe a foot high created from a mold. The Zocalo was packed with young Mexicans excited to enjoy the snow. We decided to get away from the crowd and go to the top of the Holiday Inn, where a restuarant would cure our growing hunger. While eating on the roof terrace, sipping bloody marys and listening to mariachi music, we made a friend. He was a psychotherapist from New Mexico that routinely visits the "old" Mexico. He told us how lucky we were that we were living down here, and gave us suggestions for things to do. It made for a great lunch overlooking the Zocalo.

3 comments:

Marc said...

That is pretty cool that they bring winter to the city. I especially like the tabletop snowmen!

Feliz Navidad, guys!

Bex said...

Yeah....we have to remind ourselves that people here NEVER see snow. It's great to see how excited the kids are.
Marc, we love it...keep the comments coming! Feliz, Feliz!

Marc said...

I paid tribute to you guys on Christmas night night by making refried, under seasoned white kidney beans and eating them with Tostitos Scoops. Ole!

...now that all of Mexico has stopped jeering and threatening my life (it would be like someone saying to me "I made lasagna..all I needed was some ketchup and matzoh!") I'll admit I was making the "frijoles refritos" because I was hungry and had little food in the house. But still, my thoughts were with ya'll.

Enjoy the beach!

 
Custom Search