Friday, November 28, 2008

Day 45: Job Hunt is Over!

Today I got a job and it might be my most career-like job to date. It uses words like salary and medical insurance. I will be teaching Language Arts and Literature to sixth graders and in January my responsibilities will expand to include some high school elective classes. The school is Escuela de Sierra Nevada. Here’s their website www.esn.edu.mx/
The school is actually just to the west of Mexico City in the State of Mexico. I am not sure how to pronounce the city name yet but its Huixquilucan. Set up high on a mountain, the view from the school is great.
This past month has been hard on us as I was searching for a job. The language schools mostly stop hiring until January. I had one job offer from a language school, but they required 3 ½ weeks of training before I would actually work. I went to the training but accidentally scheduled a meeting with another school the same day. I was told that if I missed any part of the training I would not be able to get the job. This was a hard decision but I am sure, now, that I made the right choice.
Five minutes after I walked out of the training, Sierra Nevada called me. That was this past Monday and today I am working for them. I am excited about starting work, and maybe more excited about not going on another interview. That whole process has been tasking. First finding the school was always a challenge. This city is crazy when it comes to locating anything. Then I had all the questions I needed to answer. Every time they asked my age then said "Wow, you look alot younger." Becoming tried of hearing that, I have since started to grow a beard.
The students down here refer to me, as Professor Lucas, and I will not longer respond to another name. No, that’s not true, but the name is growing on me. The school actually is providing transportation for me as well. I get to ride the “school bus” to work. The school bus is actually a white coach van, with seats like a greyhound bus. Its much more comfortable than Mexico’s public buses, and not as crowded.
More than anything, I am thrilled that I am a teacher, not just a sub. I have my own class of which I am in charge. It's after Thanksgiving but I am truly thankful right now.

2 comments:

Marc said...

Congrats, Professor Lucas! Between the beard, the beans and mole, you'll be fitting right in!

Unknown said...

Just getting caught up reading your blog! As you know we are so Proud of you, "Professor Lucas!" I really like the sound of that! The news of your job and happiness is a great early Christmas present for us. Love, Mom & Dad

 
Custom Search